The Ghost of Gladstone villa.

Newly registered members can come in here and introduce themselfes to the rest of the forum members.
Forum rules
Hi, nice of you all to join us, but a quick note, this section is for you to introduce yourself to the other forum members-not to advertise your website. I know several of you have websites of your own, but the rule on not advertising outside of your profile still applies here.

Welcome to the forum, and hope you enjoy posting here.

Topic author
Spotless Bin

The Ghost of Gladstone villa.

Post by Spotless Bin » 12 Dec 2017 20:29

My family and I lived a at large property called 'Gladstone villa' in the former mining town of Bargoed in the Caerphilly county borough of the South Wales valleys.
We experienced many things that simply defied rational explanation. We had regular footsteps in the main bedroom every evening when we'd all be downstairs watching television, one of us would turn the volume down to hear it more clearly.
We had minor poltergeist activity and the occasional sighting but this was very rare. We left the property in 1978 when two local business men bought the property. This is true and I wouldn't share this if I couldn't back it up. I challenge any skeptic, they will indeed question their belief system, of that I have no doubt at all.

bluelighttouch
Great Britain

Post by bluelighttouch » 12 Dec 2017 20:50

Hi and Welcome to :mhf: ... That is interesting, particularly as my aunt and uncle lived in Bargoed for many years, on top of the hill.. They moved a good few years later to Blackwood in Gwent..

Can you tell us abit more about the activity and the manifestation /sightings..etc?
:ghost2:
Some of our Chiefs believe the land belongs to them...
But that is not what The Great Spirit told me... He said No one owns the land, that the land belongs to him. We are just keepers of the land, for our children and for their childrens childen.

junoomaha

Post by junoomaha » 13 Dec 2017 15:04

I haven't been to Caerphilly since 1976! I just remember that it was always raining when I was there.
The big question is then, ''Was it Bill?''

bluelighttouch
Great Britain

Post by bluelighttouch » 13 Dec 2017 15:28

:lol: @ Juno.. Was it Ben? In Flowerpot men joke of that era.. Juno I gave up going to Wales as it was always raining.. That and paying a fiver to go acrooss the bridge tolls :eek: bet the price has gone up too.. Then the tourists frantically chuck fivers out of the car window trying to drive back out :D
But that is not what The Great Spirit told me... He said No one owns the land, that the land belongs to him. We are just keepers of the land, for our children and for their childrens childen.

Topic author
Spotless Bin

Post by Spotless Bin » 13 Dec 2017 16:27

junoomaha wrote:
13 Dec 2017 15:04
I haven't been to Caerphilly since 1976! I just remember that it was always raining when I was there.
The big question is then, ''Was it Bill?''
Hi, that is weird, my grandfathers name was Bill, well, William actually but Bill for short. Thank you for your very welcome comment.

Topic author
Spotless Bin

Post by Spotless Bin » 13 Dec 2017 17:24

bluelighttouch wrote:
12 Dec 2017 20:50
Hi and Welcome to :mhf: ... That is interesting, particularly as my aunt and uncle lived in Bargoed for many years, on top of the hill.. They moved a good few years later to Blackwood in Gwent..

Can you tell us abit more about the activity and the manifestation /sightings..etc?
:ghost2:
Hi, as you asked, here's a more detailed account of my experiences.

''The Ghost of Gladstone villa'' AKA ''Johnny, the ghost of Bargoed''.

My family and I grew up in a large property called Gladstone villa in the former mining town of Bargoed in the Caerphilly county borough of the South Wales valleys from 1960 to 1978.

My family were my maternal grandparents William (Bill) Higgs and his wife Rita.
They had one child, a daughter Caroline Higgs, who is of course my mother.
My mother worked at the local bake house in Baldwin street on regular day shift, it was there she met my father Douglas, he was from Aberbargoed and he worked the night shift regular but he stayed around to chat with my mam.
They dated for three years before they married on April first 1968, the Beatles were number one with ''Lady Madonna'' , very apt.
My parents didn't get a place of their own and stayed with my maternal grandparents at Gladstone villa in Cardiff road.

I was born at Caerphily miners hospital in the 24th of August while the youngsters of that time were listening to the latest number one at the time which was ''Honky tonk woman'' by the Rolling stones.
It was soon after I was born that my mother Caroline that the activity started off slowly with little tapping, then it increased as time progress.
My mother said that the family were downstairs when they heard what sounded like somebody jumping from the attic on to the ceiling, naturally thinking that they had a break in they went to see what was going on, but when they got there they saw nobody but the hatch to the attic was open !!

What ever it was eventually occupied itself in the main bedroom which incidentally belonged to my grandparents and it didn't take long to make its presence felt.
Every evening footsteps could be heard in the main bedroom when we'd all be downstairs.
There was some minor poltergeist activity, one day my mother Caroline went up stairs into that bedroom to get my father Douglas ready for work on the night shift when she was confronted by a scary sight, she saw my father sleeping on the bed with the ironing board over his torso, when he woke up he was astonished to find what was going on, at one point my dad suspected my grandfather Bill of doing some of it but he soon realized it wasn't Bill doing it at all.

My parents separated in 1972 and he left Gladstone villa, they eventually divorced on the 25 of April 1975, The Bay city Rollers were number one in the charts with ''Bye Bye Baby'', how Ironic is that?
It wasn't because of the activity at Gladstone villa my father left, it was just a break down in the marriage.

I have no memory of my dad living there but he did see on on weekends to take me to places, like the Cameo cinema in Bargoed.

As I got older I began to experience the activity for myself, I too would witness the poltergeist activity, I saw the electrical cables being pulled by unseen forces from upstairs, I actually saw the lights going off and on, though this didn't happen all the time.

We mainly heard footsteps in the main bedroom every evening, sometimes during the day when we'd all be downstairs watching television, one of us would turn to volume down to hear it more clearly and I remember my grandfather Bill looking up to the ceiling and pointing and he'd say, ''He's by here, ..he's by there now'', trying to point out where it was exactly.

It got so bad that we slept down stairs with the lights on all night, only my grandfather Bill would sleep in the main bedroom.
Ivy France was a family friend, more of a family friend to my grandmother Rita, she didn't believe us when she was told Gladstone villa was haunted, I still remember Ivy going into the main bedroom, checking it out and saying it was the vibration from the traffic outside causing it, but her opinion was soon to change when Ivy experienced it for herself, it was then Ivy suggested a local medium she knew of by the name of John Matthews.

When John arrived he started by asking the family questions, then he challenged the spirit by knocking on the ceiling, it immediately knocked back at him !!.
At some point John went into a trance to try and make contact, he failed to get a name but he later confirmed the obvious that there was indeed a presence there and it was an earthbound spirit.

A local priest by the name of Graham Jones also called to Gladstone villa.
After a few prayers he blessed the property and he duly left and it was quiet for a few short months but it did return with a vengeance and this time it showed itself !
One night my mother, grandfather and I were watching television, my grandmother was reading a book on the settee.
My mother just so happened to look to her left towards my grandmother was she saw the full solid figure of a monk standing behind the settee my grandmother was on, near the doorway, we didn't see it as we were otherwise occupied but my mother later described it in detail, in typical monks habit, complete with hood over the head, so she didn't see its face.

My mother and grandfather also claimed to have heard a baby crying in the main bedroom, but as I didn't hear this I took very little notice at the time.

We had the ghost for so long that my grandmother Rita gave it a nick name, she called it ''Johnny''.

We left the property in the Summer of 1978 when two local business men bought the property and Gladstone villa was eventually converted into a hotel and it's name changed to Reds parc hotel, it has since closed down and is now flats.

I did some thorough research into the history of Gladstone villa and the Cardiff road area and I learned some interesting things indeed from local newspaper archives at Bargoed library.

I discovered that a newly married couple called the Kimmiets lived there in 1924, Michael and Evelyn, they had a son Elvin who died at Gladstone villa in 1924, as stated in the Western mail of that year in the notices section, this explains the baby crying my mother and grandfather heard there.

I also discovered that there was also a monastery in Bargoed, and the remains of it can be seen in Baldwin street, which coincidentally where my parents met.
There is a priest hide directly opposite Gladstone villa in a building called The RAFA, an old farm that dates back to the 17th century, it is said that tunnels lead from Cardiff road up to the villages of Gelligaer and Nelson where there is an old manor house called ''Llnacaich Fawr''.

What I have said hear is the truth , I have used real names as I have nothing to hide and it can all be verified and backed up, I would share this if it wasn't true.

bluelighttouch
Great Britain

Post by bluelighttouch » 13 Dec 2017 21:38

Wow that took some reading through, thanks for paragraphing it and making it easier to read..
I have known loft/ attic hatches to lift in high winds cos it used to happen in my dads so he fitted a bolt.. A spirit does not need to open a door.. T
he Medium you say,went into a 'Trance' to try and make contact with the entity.. That is odd as any Medium of any standing can detect a presence so there is no need to go into an 'altered state ' (Trance state).. I am a Trance and ransfiguration Medium..btw. Really he was not a lot of help.

The priest it seems performed a blessing rather than an Exohcism hence why it reoccured and was stronger..
A competant Medium would have just moved the Earth bound spirit on...

No one would doubt your account,, I did not expect such a detailed account including names etc.. It is not always a good idea to give out personal info like that.. Information harvesting etc..

My Uncle lived at the top of the big hill His Name was Frank Norton and he was the manager of a large furnature store in the main road which was down that steep hill. I recall him telling me one very bad winter there was a huge amount if snow that slid down the mountain / hill and it came up to his upstair back window.. The place was impassable and they had a helicopter drop essential supplies to them, he had to climb out the back window to get to it.. They moved from there a few years after that and went to live in Blackwood. He passed away about 5 yrs ago now..I think the time I was last there was about 1976 too.

Some kind of shift in energy sometimes stirs up activity.. it can be building work or mahor structural changes, even the arrival of a new baby creates that energy surge.. Also electric pylons and their wires..

If there was a priest hole and tunnels etc this usually dated back to the Reformation... Monastries tend to bea different religopna Francican order maybe..

If there were 3 of you prescent and only one of you saw the ?Monk it might be because not everyone can see spirit.. I know you were distracted by other things... If the spirit figre interacted with one of you.. that is good evidence, if the spirit just appeared and did not interact, then it is more likely to be a 'Residual enrgy'. This is a kind of replay of a former event.. An energy stored in the building or on the land beneath that under certain circumstanes replays..

The Ironing board incident is bizarre.. I wonder what that meant. :lol: Usually it is lights on and off or doors opening and closing etc..

Now that you no longer live there and it is now an apartment block.. which is certainly changing the structure, I wonder if the current resident have any reported activity....

Thank you for your account..and in such detailtoo.. Do you have any other experiences since then?? :thumbsup: Good post..

junoomaha

Post by junoomaha » 14 Dec 2017 02:47

Hi Spotless, always happy to meet another Dr. Who fan! :) Yes, I did research your ghost story and it obviously has had quite a profound effect on you. Just wondered, did the hotel close due to lack of custom, or was there another reason? :eek: Shame that it has closed as it might have made a great location for one of Most Haunted's shoots.

Topic author
Spotless Bin

Post by Spotless Bin » 14 Dec 2017 10:22

junoomaha wrote:
14 Dec 2017 02:47
Hi Spotless, always happy to meet another Dr. Who fan! :) Yes, I did research your ghost story and it obviously has had quite a profound effect on you. Just wondered, did the hotel close due to lack of custom, or was there another reason? :eek: Shame that it has closed as it might have made a great location for one of Most Haunted's shoots.
junoomaha, Hi, thank you so much indeed for your very welcome message, I'm delighted to hear from you. Yes, I have loved Dr Who since my early childhood. Goes way back to 1972 when Jon Pertwee was the Doctor. My earliest memory is of the Daleks coming out of a tunnel, I have since realized this scene was from ''Day of the Daleks'' episode 4. I have been fascinated by it ever since. I grew up watching Tom Baker and followed the rest. I love the Daleks and Cybermen, plus Roger Delgado and Anthony Ainley as the Master.
My favourite companion is Jo Grant, played by the adorable Katy Manning. I met her in Manchester.

I love the revival series from 2005 and I'm cool with a female Doctor, I think Jodie Whitaker is lovely. My daughter Samantha likes David Tennant.
Thank you also for taking the time to read about my experiences, yes, it has indeed left quite an indelible mark on me, I still remember it, as does my mother but she doesn't like talking about it. Redz parc hotel closed in 2014, it actually went bankrupt, now Gethin Mills owns the property and has turned it into flats.
Best wishes to you and your family, always.

junoomaha

Post by junoomaha » 15 Dec 2017 01:21

Thank you Spotless. I have to admit that my earliest memory of Dr. Who was the Daleks burning down a forest to try and locate the Tardis, which was round-about episode 10 of the Daleks Master Plan, where they swapped their suckers for flame throwers! I must admit that my favourite Doctor was also Jon Pertwee, (if only because he was the first Doctor to appear in colour!) Anthony Ainley always seemed to play the same part for me though, whether it was the cajoled priest in Blood on Satan's Claw, or the Master in Dr. Who. I first came across Jodie Whitaker in Attack the Block with John Bodega and thought she was really good in that. (Nearly all the girls I know love David Tennant, whether in Dr. Who or Broadchurch! In fact my best friend's sisters used to take their holidays on the Jurassic Coast at the same time Broadchurch was filming in the off-chance they may run into him!) I don't know if you know this but Most Haunted was voted the second most scariest T.V. show on British television, next to Dr. Who. Although that was about 10 years ago.... now-a-days I guess it would be Dr. Who vs. Love Island! :eek: