life without an afterlife?

This forum is for serious discussions, debates, and questions you have about the paranormal or afterlife.
Forum rules
Please keep the debates in here intelligent by:

1. Respecting other members opinions and responding to them without insults or aggressive language
2. Stepping away from the computer when you are angry
3. Remaining open minded at all times.

Please try to keep your posts on topic and intelligent, and minimising short posts. If you wish to quote another website, please provide a link to the source.
For the convenience of other members and for the bots that visit the forum from search engines, please provide some explanation of what the thing you have linked to has to do with the subject of the thread, especially if the link you have posted contains a lot of text.

Topic author
kayls
Site Admin
Site Admin

life without an afterlife?

Post by kayls » 04 May 2012 00:54

i wonder.......what would life be like if nobody ever wondered whether there was a heaven or hell, no religion, nobody ever thought about ghosts, or the afterlife.

not like we were all sceptics, or used to beleive in an afterlife, but stopped, or if there wasnt one, but if nobody ever thought about it at all and the concept of heaven/hell never existed.

how do you think the world would be different?

bluelighttouch

Re: life without an afterlife?

Post by bluelighttouch » 04 May 2012 09:57

Oddly enough years ago I worked with a guy who was a lay preacher in his spare time, as in the course of work one day we asked him Would he live his life differently in he thought there was no 'Heaven or hell'? His reply shocked us to the core.. He said if people were not brought to book on the day of judgement and there was no prospect of entering the gates of heaven etc then he might as well go home and commit suicide now!!! I thought OMG what a prat... He said that people would be far more evil if they believed there was not the prospect of eternal damnation and the basis to do good deeds would be pointless!!!

Words failed me.. I did think I could see where he was coming from.. but I thought his intended personal action was extreme to say the least..

I mean think of all those catholic priest and the nuns teaching in convent school, if they couldn't threaten the kids with eternal damnation and burning in the fires of hell...:rofl:
Some of our Chiefs believe the land belongs to them...
But that is not what The Great Spirit told me... He said No one owns the land, that the land belongs to him. We are just keepers of the land, for our children and for their childrens childen.

SandDancer
Competition Winner
Competition Winner

Post by SandDancer » 04 May 2012 12:15

Oh my, this is a tricky one to think about on a Friday morning.

Maybe if there was no religion there would be no need for for fear, no need for preachers to threaten eternal damnation. I believe the majority of people are good, peaceful people just wanting to get on with their own lives. Maybe these goodies could overcome the bad ones by just ignoring them. If no one took any notice of them they might just give up.....................................some hope eh?

I know I'm being very naive..........but it is Friday.

Topic author
kayls
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kayls » 04 May 2012 12:20

i think if the fear of going to hell is the only reason why someone is not out killing people, robbing banks and having sex with anything that moves, theres a bigger problem here than the lack of an afterlife. i think there still will be law, because people evolved to live in a community, and a community needs rules as it wont work unless we share resources and try and get along with eachother.

i would have thought that less people would kill themselfes if there was no afterlife, because they know that this life is going to be the only chance they would have.

bluelighttouch

Post by bluelighttouch » 04 May 2012 12:25

I know what you mean Kayls.. How many times have we thought .. next time I'll do this or that.. Not in this life but the next.. But we don't get to choose.. It is said by many wiser than I that our lives are aready mapped out for us and our chosen paths are preordained.. Its just that we are not meant to know in advance... :shrug:
But that is not what The Great Spirit told me... He said No one owns the land, that the land belongs to him. We are just keepers of the land, for our children and for their childrens childen.

Bone

Post by Bone » 08 Feb 2013 20:59

This is an interesting question, one that I've pondered on ever since I actually deeply thought about the paranormal. As much as we'd all love to live forever, we don't. So, I guess it'd be nice if there is an afterlife, but if there isn't.... boy, I honestly don't know how I'd feel.
The official San Jose Sharks hockey correspondent of The Most Haunted Forum

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#SharksForLife

bluelighttouch

Post by bluelighttouch » 08 Feb 2013 22:19

I think I'l quote from Startrek.. 'Theres Life Jim, but not as we know it'.. Interestingly it was 'Bones' :lol: who said it...

junoomaha

Post by junoomaha » 08 Feb 2013 22:38

Sorry, but it's quite a simple question with a straight forward answer. You wouldn't be here. The human race would have become extinct long ago. :)
Why do you think that only homo sapiens out of all the other hominid species survived while the rest didn't? belief in an afterlife was a genetic imperative.

bluelighttouch

Post by bluelighttouch » 08 Feb 2013 23:09

Well Juno we do get Spirit animals you know.. I've had contact with a spirit cat and my mates dog growls at one when it signals its presence by blue sparkly orbs low down by the fire place..

3DWaffle1

Post by 3DWaffle1 » 01 May 2013 19:49

It is not possible. Dogs even go to heaven when they die. However, it is hard to prove it