ambidestrous people more likely to believe

This forum is for serious discussions, debates, and questions you have about the paranormal or afterlife.
Forum rules
Please keep the debates in here intelligent by:

1. Respecting other members opinions and responding to them without insults or aggressive language
2. Stepping away from the computer when you are angry
3. Remaining open minded at all times.

Please try to keep your posts on topic and intelligent, and minimising short posts. If you wish to quote another website, please provide a link to the source.
For the convenience of other members and for the bots that visit the forum from search engines, please provide some explanation of what the thing you have linked to has to do with the subject of the thread, especially if the link you have posted contains a lot of text.

Topic author
kayls
Site Admin
Site Admin

ambidestrous people more likely to believe

Post by kayls » 23 Feb 2012 19:31

http://epiphenom.fieldofscience.com/201 ... elief.html

this is interesting, i didnt know there could be a connection about things like this.

i can write decently with both hands, but prefer using my right, but there are some things i prefer to do with my left hand. im also a believer, but a very open minded one.
People who are ambidextrous are more likely to have magical beliefs. That's something that was known before but has recently been confirmed by Gjurgjica Badzakova-Trajkov and team from Auckland University, New Zealand.

The figure on the right shows how high their subjects scored on a 'magical ideation' scale, which asks questions such as "Some people can make me aware of them just by thinking about me" and "I think I could learn to read other’s minds if I wanted to".

Handedness was assessed just by asking their hand preferences for a variety of tasks, like throwing or using scissors. As you can see, those people without a strong hand preference were also the most likely to have magical ideas.

So you might think that ambidextrous people are more likely to be religious? Well hold on.

A few years ago Christopher Niebauer, at Slippery Rock University in the USA, showed that ambidextrous people are more likely to believe evolution (in the USA at least). [That paper was sent to me last year, but I can't remember who sent it. If it was you - well thanks!]

The explanation seems to be that mixed-handed people are more open minded and more creative. So they are more likely to shake often creationist dogma, but also more likely to take other 'heretical' thoughts seriously. Incidentally, in a later paper Niebauer also showed that ambidextrous people are more gullible!

Why should this be? Well, one theory is that the brains of ambidextrous people are wired up differently. Not only are their hands less one sided, but their brains also may be more even across the two hemispheres - less 'lateralized'.

And that's where Badzakova-Trajkov's research comes in. She showed that the brains of people who think magically were just as lateralized as the brains of more rational thinkers. What's more, when she measured handedness by a proper test - rather than just asking people about their preferences - the relationship with magical thinking disappeared.

She concludes from this that the connection between ambidexterity and magical thinking is behavioural, not neuropsychological. What's probably happening is simply that those people who are open to magical thinking, and who are willing to take on-board radical ideas such as evolution, are also more open to the idea of using their non-dominant hand to do normal daily tasks.

These people are just iconoclasts by nature!

bluelighttouch

Re: ambidestrous people more likely to believe

Post by bluelighttouch » 23 Feb 2012 21:58

Well I guess I can do some things with both hands but then I thought we all could.. I'm a lefty really but when I bust my left wrist I was in plaster for so long I had to use my other hand to write etc..
Some of our Chiefs believe the land belongs to them...
But that is not what The Great Spirit told me... He said No one owns the land, that the land belongs to him. We are just keepers of the land, for our children and for their childrens childen.

bluelighttouch

Post by bluelighttouch » 06 Oct 2014 20:32

I dredged this up because I thought it was worth a look...
I'm guessing its the theory or Left brain v Right brain..
I think referring to someone as a 'Believer' indicate that they think this person, will always blindly follow a belief... Not just on a religion based theme either... Are not Beliefs part of 'Conspiracy Theories'...

Some people had a theory that aircraft 'Con trails' contained chemicals to spray over certain routes, places in order to ruin crops... infect people and vegitation will disease etc...
So a Belief, takes on a new twist... Any thought on this?
But that is not what The Great Spirit told me... He said No one owns the land, that the land belongs to him. We are just keepers of the land, for our children and for their childrens childen.

Bobtheghost

Post by Bobtheghost » 07 Feb 2015 23:13

That's interesting. I didn't know that.

bluelighttouch

Post by bluelighttouch » 09 Feb 2015 20:36

Its classed as a Conspiracy Theory..

Topic author
kayls
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kayls » 08 Mar 2015 01:15

yeah, I guess both belief in the paranormal/religion and belief in conspiracy theories are sort of similar. and yeah, believer doesn't always mean they believe everything, some people believe in some things and not others.

bluelighttouch

Post by bluelighttouch » 08 Mar 2015 16:57

I am not too hot on so called Conspiracy Theories tbh...A lot of this is just government stuff to put us off the scent... Like UFO sightings and 'Project Blue Book'..I think theres a lot of truth in The X Files, they did say 'Trust no one, the truth is out there' and I think thats very true...

bluelighttouch

Post by bluelighttouch » 17 Mar 2017 20:38

So do we have any more Ambidextrous believers ??? I thought I would pull this thread us as I think we all like something to be true out of the whole plethoria of belivers and non belivers. subject.
. I do feel being a sceptical believer is better than fence sitting..Maybe those fence sitters are secretly hoping that something truly cosmic will swoop down on them..:lol: and bite them on the bum....

Sherryanne

Post by Sherryanne » 17 Mar 2017 21:09

Well I am not sure I am totally ambidextrous. I cannot write well with my right hand - I am left handed. But I do a lot of things using my right. I text using my right. When I played tennis or badminton I batted naturally with my right hand, which some found amusing in the circumstances.
But am I right that it's thought left handed people believe more?

I do believe but I am very sceptical also. I like to dissect everything. It is easier for me to have an open mind having experienced some things, which I am grateful of.

I think some fence sitters definitely want to have some solid proof. I do know of a few people who hate the thought of an afterlife and living forever. They said it was a horrible thought to live on and on and on. It is hard to comprehend but sometimes I think we can think too much of what it's like over there. Speaking for myself I just want to be able to be with loved ones again eventually and will worry about the progression after lols

bluelighttouch

Post by bluelighttouch » 18 Mar 2017 01:34

I am left handed to, so we have that in common too.. When I was at schoolthey kept pressuring us to use therught handed way of doing things ie Bowling playing rounders, Tennis, I shocked them by being able to play back hand and forehand shots literally throwing the racket fromone hand to the other.. Yet I hate watching tennis, do not mind playing it..
I throw Javelin, Discus and shot with the right arm because of being coached to do this..
I still hate being told by ignorant people that left handers are 'Cack handed'!!!
I have to use a right handed can opener, corkscrew etc.. Stringed instruments have to be restrung too... I should be allowed to use what ever was natural to me..
In a way it was a form of Abuse..