Humans 'predisposed' to believe in the supernatural

This forum is for serious discussions, debates, and questions you have about the paranormal or afterlife.
Forum rules
Please keep the debates in here intelligent by:

1. Respecting other members opinions and responding to them without insults or aggressive language
2. Stepping away from the computer when you are angry
3. Remaining open minded at all times.

Please try to keep your posts on topic and intelligent, and minimising short posts. If you wish to quote another website, please provide a link to the source.
For the convenience of other members and for the bots that visit the forum from search engines, please provide some explanation of what the thing you have linked to has to do with the subject of the thread, especially if the link you have posted contains a lot of text.

Topic author
baldrick69

Humans 'predisposed' to believe in the supernatural

Post by baldrick69 » 19 Jul 2011 19:44

http://archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot. ... ve-in.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not sure this if this is one of those studies which sounds like it is making a profound new statement, or one which is painfully obvious if you take a moment to think about it.

How do we feel about a supernatural belief being instinctive rather than reasoned?

junoomaha

Re: Humans 'predisposed' to believe in the supernatural

Post by junoomaha » 19 Jul 2011 19:54

Am sure that many a dictator has used ''reason'' to explain why he must remain in power and anyone opposed to that belief should be disposed of.
Sorry, but ''reason'' alone is not an argument.
On the other hand there are many who believe there is a gene behind everything. A gay gene, a god gene, no doubt a conservative gene or a Labour gene.
The point is we just really don't know and anything else is pure speculation.

kayls
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kayls » 19 Jul 2011 20:01

maybe thats true, as even people from thousands of years ago appeared to believe in some sort of afterlife, i wonder who came up with the idea that there could be somewhere else after this life and that there are ghosts.

bluelighttouch

Post by bluelighttouch » 19 Jul 2011 20:12

Thanks for posting up that link Balders very interesting website lots of excellent articles..
Some of our Chiefs believe the land belongs to them...
But that is not what The Great Spirit told me... He said No one owns the land, that the land belongs to him. We are just keepers of the land, for our children and for their childrens childen.

junoomaha

Post by junoomaha » 19 Jul 2011 21:15

I have heard it suggested that when humans became intelligent (let's quantify that...) when humans became self aware, they noticed that they usually ended up dying. This made them sad, so nature created an ''afterlife'' gene to compensate. Actually the mad scientist involved said a ''god'' gene, but as that makes no sense I have substituted ''god'' with ''afterlife.'' I don't know if this applies to a belief in ''ghosts'' as you do not need ghosts to believe in an afterlife, but maybe there is a causel connection.
There is absolutely no reason that nature would create a ''god'' gene unless it is to scare the pants of athiests - thereby keeping Ian Lawman and others like him very happy - insted of being sad, so maybe there is a genetic link afterall.

bluelighttouch

Post by bluelighttouch » 19 Jul 2011 21:38

I always thought that godlike beings were just used to keep the masses living in fear ;) gods ie pharohs in Egypt changed rapidly... They filled the burial sites with supplies and chariots, a boat etc..
Many cultures have the idea of some kind of deity..they all have different names...
This concept of 'afterlife' seems to exist thoughout history, hence grave goods buried with the dead to aid and help them in the next life..
Their reasons are many and varied as to why they believed in the afterlife.. I can't answer that ..who can .. I think the ghost concept came a lot later..
Some of our Chiefs believe the land belongs to them...
But that is not what The Great Spirit told me... He said No one owns the land, that the land belongs to him. We are just keepers of the land, for our children and for their childrens childen.

kayls
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kayls » 20 Jul 2011 12:13

yeah, it did become like that, with people worrying that any disease they got was cause they had done something to make god angry, and being told by others that they would go to hell for doing things which they saw as bad.

i think that it was something which people believe by instinct, but now people are moving away from this instinct because of the discoveries science makes that replace these beliefs, as we now know that its germs that make people ill, and we know why the weather changes, so people have no need to blame god for it. and its also considered more acceptable not to believe (imagine 100 years ago if you didnt believe in god, people would think you were insane) so now less people believe in god and the afterlife.

junoomaha

Post by junoomaha » 20 Jul 2011 12:43

I think the point about the study that Baldrick69 mentioned is that if you make a child believe that it's mother and God will always be there to assist them, when the mother decreases that assistance (so that the child can stand on it's own two feet,) it stops believing in it's mother's omnipotence therefore (the conclusion goes,) if God doesn't assist them they will stop believing in God's omnipotence. All well and good but it doesn't prove that humans are born with an instinctual belief in mothers and God. After all, if a child is taken away from it's mother at birth and placed only with it's father, will it therefore only believe in Fathers and God? or if placed in the care of machines, will it only believe in machines and God? in other words are they actually proving that people only believe in things that can help them and if something isn't of any obvious assistance to them do they therefore stop believing in it? the only reasonable conclusion is 'Yes.'

kayls
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kayls » 22 Jul 2011 11:58

i guess it applies to any person who raised the child-whether it was one parent, both or someone else.

cause i imagine a child who was raised by just their father, or grandparents, or any other person would learn to trust them and beleive whatever they say.

junoomaha

Post by junoomaha » 22 Jul 2011 12:50

Exactly Kayls - it's upbringing/nurture - not nature.